Do I need to use the Batrium shunt or can I use the Victron shunt?

Will the Batrium BMS not work properly without the shunt? I am not sure if I still need to purchase it as I already have a Victron smart shunt that I purchased locally.

The Victron shunt can certainly advise the inverter equipment. Unfortunately, the GX Gateway does not send the state of charge (SoC%) back to the BMS. Hence, if you require the BMS control logic to be dependent on the shunt readings we will not be able to do so. This includes ramping down the target charging rates dependent on SoC. This applies to the Victron lynx shunt, BMV, and smart shunt.

A number of customers have chosen to install both shunts in series, which is not ideal. We have also asked Victron if they can add the SoC to the CANbus profile so that both shunt devices are not required. While it’s not available yet, the choice is yours.

For the time being the BMS, can happily balance without the Batrium shunt but some of the advanced control logic will not work without the ShuntMon. You can purchase it at a later time if needed.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

The answer is a bit ambigous - However, from a Batrium/Victron user - I can tell you with 100% certainty, you ONLY need one shunt, and it needs to be the Batrium Shunt.

The Batrium shunt Looks to the victron system as thou it was a Victron Shunt. You get the exact same info via canbus from the Batrium shunt that you would get having a victron shunt.

You cannot however use a victron shunt as it doesn’t send any data TO batrium - So batrium will have no idea what is going on.

1 Like